We had a pretty busy weekend – exhausting but we got a lot done. I started a new hobby this weekend. I purchased two chicks that will be laying hens later this summer. I was hoping to get a pair of ameraucaunas (they lay blue eggs) but ended up with some reliable brown egg layers. Maybe next year I’ll start a little earlier and get some ameraucauna day old chicks and raise them in the garage.
I checked the city ordinances regarding chicken and Minnetonka does not allow free ranging chickens or roosters. We bought a coop kit and it looks okay. We’ll probably stain it to match the shed and move around some more plants to make it less visible.
Getting the ponds ready for the koi involves cleaning and hooking things back up. The pond digger has purchased a few new items and created a different aerator for the upper pond.
Landscaping took up a lot of our time and while we’re far from being finished, we’re off to a good start.
Indoor koi land is getting old. I think Wild Bill tried to jump and got a little cut from the netting. He was sporting some red patches and I was worried he might get the other koi sick. So while it was a little overkill, I decided to treat the entire pool with some broad spectrum medication. I think the koi definitely look fine and will be ready to go outside next weekend (if we get everything hooked up!)
Last year I started looking more carefully at shiro utsuri koi and this year I am starting to learn more about showa koi. Both varieties of koi take a few years to develop and will tax my patience. Devin and Mikki Swanson of Koi Acres received their spring koi shipment and sent me some Showa candidates. I’ll let you know in May, which one has my name on it (not too hard to pick out…)
Had a great Easter weekend with plenty of outdoors time 😄
You must be logged in to post a comment.